Parents as Teachers
Parents as Teachers works with parents to provide them with parenting support and information on their developing child. This program is designed to foster strong, loving relationships between parents and their children.
The Parents as Teachers Program provides parent education and family support to families throughout pregnancy until their child enters kindergarten, usually age 5.
As a Parents as Teachers family you will receive:
- Personal visits, during which your parent educator will share age-appropriate child development and parenting information, help you learn to observe your child, and address your parenting concerns
- Parent group meetings, which are opportunities to share information about parenting issues and child development. Parents learn from and support each other, observe their children with other children and practice parenting skills
- Screenings to assess your child’s overall development as well as health, hearing and vision
- Referrals to resources that link your family to other community services
Parents as Teachers children:
- At age 3, are significantly more advanced in language, social development, problem solving and other cognitive abilities than comparison children
- Score higher on kindergarten readiness tests and on standardized measures of achievement in early grades